Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Performance Management - Week 21

Work Appraisal

A recent appraisal I had at work involved a 1-2-1 discussion with my line manager. Managing Performance involves setting targets and appraisals are used to measure whether or not a member of staff has met those targets. Businesses measure performance in different ways. I am measured on the number of sales I achieve and the number of complaints or compliments I receive in respect of customer satisfaction. In this interview I was given the opportunity to go through the number of sales I had achieved and my line manager gave me feedback on the number of compliments I had received. This information was motivating for me because my line manager informed me that I would get a bonus as I had reached all my targets.

Edwin A. Locke (1960) Goal Setting Theory suggests that if an individual sets goals he/she wil be motivated to reach those goals by virtue of having set them. However several elements must exist for the goal setting effect to take place. Goals need to be clear, challenging and attainable, and there must be some method of receiving feedback. Locke suggested that the goal itself is not the motivator but the perceived difference between what was actually attained and what had been planned for is.


Appraisals are good for both the employee/employer because it is a time for both parties to express their views on matters such as personal development, review of individuals performance, recoginition and reward. At appraisals the employer also has the chance to point out any issues like conduct, sickness records, time keeping, behaviour etc.

The Times article on Mentoring

Having read this article on mentoring I think the skills needed to be an effective mentor are:

1) Successful - Successful people are good mentors because they are organised, focused and dedicated to acheiving their own goals and objectives. They are positive role models for people they mentor.

2) Listening - Mentors need to be good at listening because they need to be sympathetic and sensitive, encouraging solutions out of the person they mentor instead of telling them what to do.

3) Experience - Mentors need to have experience because their experiences can help you with problems you may come across.

4) Different background - Mentors from a different background to your own can be good because their experiences and insights can help you manage your own success.

Mentor in my own life

The person I aspire to be like is my older sister. My sister has been a positive role model for me. This is because she is 6 years older than me, but has achieved success by doing well and getting her degree. Since graduating she has found a very good job and works for the metropolitan police as a trainer. My sister's success has motivated me into studying for my degree, stay focused and to either find a good job or to start my own business after graduation. My sister has had a huge impact on my life.

Reference list:

Times Online [online]. Available from: http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/entrepreneur/article3778514.ece [Accessed 27th April 2010].

Locke's Goal Setting Theory [online]. Available from: http://www.ehow.com/about_5370945_lockes-goal-setting-theory.html [Accessed 27th April 2010].

Goal-Setting Theory [online]. Available from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goal-setting_theory [Accessed on 27th April 2010].

1 comment:

  1. could you please tel me where you got the diagram for the Lockes theory of goal motivation in yellow, I wanted to reference it in my work...thank you

    ReplyDelete